Club History

A Netball team called “Old Girl’s Netball” was started in 1924 for ex pupils of Finchley County School. It wasn’t until about 1930 that the club’s name became “Old Fincunians Netball Club”.

Some 40 years later in 1972, Janice Mann who was teaching at the school at the time brought together a new club after the previous decided to disband. Trials were held for two teams and team colours changed from Navy and Claret to the Blue and White that OFNC play in today. Old Fincunians entered The North London League in 1974 and the A team progressed quickly through the divisions. The club won The Middlesex Rally in 1981, The Ashmole Rally in 1985 and The North London Rally in 1989.

The number of ex pupils joining the club was in decline so the new founding members decided that the club be opened to others. Soon the two teams became four with an influx of players through word-of-mouth and Friern Barnet School.

OFNC now play in both The North London Netball League and The Middlesex County League. In more recent years we have won Club of the Year, awarded annually to a Middlesex Club for outstanding contribution to the game of Netball; for our commitment to grass roots netball in Middlesex through our play (two of our teams gaining league promotion), development of our own umpires and coaches, umpiring support for other teams and for our efforts in the local community to reach out to new players and help others to return to the sport.

In addition to our Senior Club we now have a Young Fincunians Club too.  We have three Junior teams entered in to The North London League and hope to continue to cultivate some great netball for young girls in and around Barnet.